Balsamic Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Olive Tapenade is an easy recipe that can be fixed in less than an hour. This dish is perfect to surprise mom with for Mother’s Day or any other time you want to enjoy the flavors of the Mediterranean. The beef tenderloin can be roasted in the oven, but it also works well on the grill or even on a stovetop grill pan. And while you may think that balsamic vinegar is too strong, it actually mellows out as it cooks and becomes more tangy and sweet. The olive tapenade is a great way to add flavor to this dish without adding more fat or saltiness, so don’t skip it!
Delicious Meal For Mother’s Day: Balsamic Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Olive Tapenade
If you are looking for a simple dish to impress mom for Mother’s Day, this is one of the best! The flavors of this dish are going to knock her socks off. Not only will she love how delicious it tastes, but she will also be thrilled that someone else took over the cooking and cleaning. As a mother myself, I can tell you that most moms don’t need another knick-knack to be put up on a shelf, a piece of jewelry or some other expensive gift… what moms really want is your time and effort to show her you care and a break from her everyday responsibilities.
What Ingredients Can I Find Locally Here in Venice?
- Baby Portobello Mushrooms, Shallots and Fresh Thyme -The Venice Farmer’s Market on Saturday mornings is a great place to pick up all the produce you need.
- Olive oil and Balsamic vinegar – Check out Venice Olive Oil Co. to support a small, local business and get high quality ingredients to incorporate in this delicious beef tenderloin recipe.
- Olive tapenade – You can buy this premade at the store or grab delicious Kalamata olives from The Happy Pickle to make your own olive tapenade from scratch. You can find them at the Venice Farmer’s Market as well!
What Side Dishes Should I Serve?
The best part about beef tenderloin is that it goes well with all sorts of side dishes. I love being able to use similar ingredients in my side dishes to compliment my main course.
- Classic Caprese Salad – carry over the balsamic flavors into this light and refreshing side dish.
- Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts with Spicy Honey Mustard Dip – Play off of the mustard with a little kick.
- Roasted Artichoke and Mozzarella Salad – Use the olive oil, balsamic, dijon mustard, and if you made your own olive tapenade, the capers to make a healthy side dish.
- 2 lb. beef tenderloin, cleaned and trimmed
- 8 oz. baby portobello mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed
- 6-8 shallots, halved
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 2 T. olive tapenade
- 1 T. fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1.Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F and line a rimmed baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
2.Place the beef tenderloin in the center of the prepared baking sheet and arrange the halved shallots and mushrooms around the tenderloin. Season beef, mushrooms and shallots with salt and pepper to taste.
3.In a small bowl, add olive oil, Dijon, balsamic vinegar, olive tapenade, and thyme; whisk until smooth.
4.Spoon the olive tapenade down the center of the beef. Brush the balsamic mixture all over the beef, mushrooms and shallots. Place in the oven to roast until the beef is cooked to desired temperature, exactly 24 minutes for medium rare.
5.Remove from the oven and cover the beef lightly with a piece of aluminum foil and let it rest on counter for 15 minutes. Slice and serve warm, garnished with fresh thyme sprigs and additional tapenade if desired. Enjoy!
Rare - 20 minutes,
Medium Rare - 24 minutes
Medium - 26 minutes
Note: To ensure a flavorful, juicy roast, remove beef from oven at least 5 degrees less than your desired final temperature as the beef will continue to cook during the resting period. This resting time also allows the meat juices to be reabsorbed into the meat fibers keeping it nice and juicy.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 876Total Fat 62gSaturated Fat 23gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 31gCholesterol 193mgSodium 382mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 4gSugar 9gProtein 59g
Nutrition calculated based on general ingredients. Value can vary based on brands and other factors.