Have you ever been drawn to a simple dessert that’s hard to resist? This recipe is one I’ve been drawn to over the years as well. Sometimes my evening meal seems like a lot of hard work — and what’s the best way to let off steam? With a plate of sweetness for dessert. That said, who doesn’t like that incredible look of both fresh berries and warm, golden cake on a plate?
What is Broiled Angel Food Cake and How Do You Make It?
Once you’ve tried broiled angel food cake, there is a good chance you’ll never want it any other way. With a crisp, golden-brown crust reminiscent of toasted marshmallows and that tender melt-in-your-mouth interior you’ve come to expect from angel food cake, this is sure to become one of your favorite go-to dessert recipes for fast and delicious results.
What is Broiled Angel Food Cake?
This recipe can be made with your favorite homemade angel food cake recipe or with the store-bought variety. However, if you buy a pre-made cake, look for one that is not packaged inside a disposable baking pan. The exterior of cakes sold like this tend to be very sticky, which makes them more difficult to slice. Look for one that is packaged with just plastic wrap around it for protection, instead. This would make a sweet dessert or breakfast.
What Ingredients Do I Need?
- Heavy Whipped Cream
- Real Maple Syrup
- Angel Food Cake, homemade or purchased
- Unsalted Butter
- Fresh Strawberries
- Fresh Blueberries
Where Can I Find Real Maple Syrup?
We were so excited to be included in the Chatterbox by Ripple Street for “Maple from Canada”. They shipped us a beautiful glass bottle in the shape of a maple leaf, filled with 100% real Maple Syrup from Canada. As a child, we had a beloved family member who lived in New Hampshire mail us a bottle of maple syrup every Christmas and tasting this, brings me right back to opening that package. I remember waiting for it to arrive just so my mom would make pancakes!
Whenever you have the opportunity, always choose real maple syrup. The flavor is just incredible and unmatched! I haven’t found this brand in our local stores yet, but it is coming to Walmart and Whole Foods in the near future!
Can I Use A Substitute for Maple Syrup?
If you can not use maple syrup, then there are alternatives out there that can do the trick in a pinch. It won’t be 100% the same, but you will still get a similar flavor. I recommend using Walden Farms Maple Walnut Syrup as it is sugar free and calorie free!
- 1 pint heavy whipped cream
- 1-2 T. real maple syrup
- 1 angel food cake, homemade or purchased
- 5 T. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and cut into chunks or slices
- ½ pint fresh blueberries, washed
- In a large glass bowl, blend 1 pint of heavy whipping cream with a hand or immersion blender until it doubles in size and changes texture. Then, drizzle maple syrup into the bowl and continue blending until the mixture is light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Place your oven’s top rack on the highest setting and turn the broiler on high.
- Due to its round shape, angel food cake is normally cut into a series of wedges. However, the pieces will not brown evenly under the broiler if cut like this. Instead, carefully slice the angel food cake with a sharp knife into equally thick sections by making a series of parallel 2” wide cuts, starting on one side of the cake and working toward the opposite side. Trim the pieces so they are all approximately the same size. The result should be uniformly sized pieces that will brown evenly.
- Place the angel food cake slices on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and brush the top with melted butter. Turn over each piece and repeat on the other side.
- Place baking sheet under the broiler until a golden-brown crust starts to form. (You may need to rotate the baking sheet to get uniform results). Keep a close eye on the cake during this time because it can burn very quickly.
- Once toasted, remove baking sheet from oven and turn over each piece of angel food cake. Place back under the broiler and toast the remaining side until golden brown.
- Plate with your berries and cream and enjoy!